Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Behaving wisely

1 Samuel 18:5, 14, 30
And David went out whithersoever Saul sent him, and behaved himself wisely: and Saul set him over the men of war, and he was accepted in the sight of all the people, and also in the sight of Saul's servants.
[14] And David behaved himself wisely in all his ways; and the Lord was with him.
[30] Then the princes of the Philistines went forth: and it came to pass, after they went forth, that David behaved himself more wisely than all the servants of Saul; so that his name was much set by.

While looking through my notes I came across these verses. Three times in I Samuel 18, it is mentioned that David behaved himself wisely. David apparently had a plan. He would act right no matter what.

Have you ever thought of what you would do in certain situations? You need to have a plan. What will you do when a sinful thought flashes through your mind? Do you dwell on it or do you pray and ask the Lord to take it away? You need to have a plan. What do you do when temptation flares its ugly head? You need to have a plan. We need to fill our minds with the word of God. Meditate on the Word, know what the Word says about different subjects. Do you have a problem with a certain sin? The Bible is filled with counsel.

Behaving wisely begins in the mind. We need to think and pray before we put our mouth or body into action. Do you behave yourself more than anyone you work with? Do you stand out in a crowd because of character? Can people tell you are a Christian because of your words and actions? David’s name “was much set by”; others could tell that he followed the Lord.

The majority of us spend so much time thinking and worrying about everything. I know in my own life I need to put those thoughts aside and dwell on the Word of God. Memorizing and meditating on verses is a good place to start. Philippians 4:8 is a great starting point.
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

We need to behave ourselves more wisely than those around us. Psalm 101:2 says, I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when wilt thou come unto me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart.

Should we “behave” only when someone is watching – no! God is always watching.

Lord, help me to keep you in all my thoughts. Show me how to behave wisely in all situations. When my mind starts to wander lead me back to dwell on your goodness and grace. Thank you for what you are doing in my life. In Jesus name. Amen.

Have a great day.
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment