Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Christianity 101

Psalm 101
[1] [A Psalm of David.] I will sing of mercy and judgment: unto thee, O LORD, will I sing. [2] I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when wilt thou come unto me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart. [3] I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; [it] shall not cleave to me. [4] A froward heart shall depart from me: I will not know a wicked [person]. [5] Whoso privily slandereth his neighbour, him will I cut off: him that hath an high look and a proud heart will not I suffer. [6] Mine eyes [shall be] upon the faithful of the land, that they may dwell with me: he that walketh in a perfect way, he shall serve me. [7] He that worketh deceit shall not dwell within my house: he that telleth lies shall not tarry in my sight. [8] I will early destroy all the wicked of the land; that I may cut off all wicked doers from the city of the LORD.


I’m reading Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges. What is a respectable sin? The sins we tolerate in our lives, the sins we consider not too bad. Not too bad in whose eyes. In God’s eyes sin is sin. James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin. Whoa!! How should we live? What should we do? Is there a guide book to follow in life? There sure is, it is called the Word of God, the Bible.

How appropriate that the instructions to help us live are in Psalm 101. This Psalm sums it all up.

1. Sing to God – worship Him. Keep Him in focus throughout the day.

2.Behave wisely – act the right way in all situations. When in doubt, say a quick prayer and ask for wisdom.

3.Watch what you put before your eyes – television programs, reading material. Ask God for sensitivity toward what you read and watch. The more we watch the wrong things the more we get desensitized to them.

4.Stay away from wicked people – pick your friends carefully.

5.Don’t gossip, pay attention to pridefulness. Think before you speak. As my grandmother would say, “If you have nothing nice to say about someone don’t say it.”

6. Keep your heart right with God.

7. Be careful how you act towards others, don’t lie, watch your body language, and sarcasm. Don’t be deceitful – answer truthfully all the time – don’t skirt the issue.

I don’t know about you but I have more work to do to pass this course – Christianity 101. I know the Teacher is gracious, kind and patient. He is more than willing to help us with any problems.

Have a blessed day,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment