Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Teach your children

And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. Deuteronomy 6:7

One day I brought my granddaughter to story hour at the library. While I sat and listened to the stories and watch my granddaughter’s reactions, I thought about stories. We all like to hear interesting stories, real stories, imagined stories, scary stories. We are all different and have different tastes in the stories we read or listen to. There are many things for us to learn through stories.

As I watched I thought of the verse in the Bible that says “to teach them in the way.” We are so engrossed in the things of the world that sometimes we neglect the things of God. I am so thankful that my children are teaching my grandchildren about God and Jesus.

While at the library, my granddaughter, who was three years old at the time, was playing with a toy ship. On the ship was a part that looked like a cross. I did not notice it but she did. “Look at the cross, Mimi. The cross is where Jesus died.”

My children are grown but my grandchildren are growing. I take any opportunity to teach them about God. Whether it is something as simple as sharing God’s creation while looking at a flower or a bug, or reading God’s word together.

As we start a new year take time to teach your children or grandchildren about God. Remember they are the next generation. They will be the ones to share the gospel with others, but it first must be shared with them.

Have a blessed day,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment