Sunday, June 12, 2011

Story Telling

Remember the days of old, consider the years of many generations: ask thy father, and he will shew thee; thy elders, and they will tell thee. Deuteronomy 32:7

I love to hear stories. Recently I was with an elderly friend, who was sharing stories of her growing up years. She married three months after graduating from high school. Recently her spouse of 66 years passed away after a long illness.

As the stories were told her eyes filled with tears remembering the long ago memories. There were hard times but numerous lessons learned not everything was a bed of roses. Many of her recollections are of wonderful family times and trips to Italy with her sweetheart. Sharing recipes and family stories goes hand in hand for my dear friend. She is a wonderful cook and still makes delicious pies, cookies and lasagna dinners.

She loves her family, grandchildren and great grandchildren. When family arrives there is a twinkle in her eye. Love bubbles over when she talks about her husband and their family. Sitting and taking in all the stories, many new to my ears, but some I heard before and never get tired of hearing, I thought of my family history.

I can remember my grandmother combing my hair as a little girl and telling me about her childhood. I can recall the funny stories my father told of his boyhood. I remember the story of my father and his sister singing to make money for the family.

My mother’s stories are not of fond memories but recollections of a sick mother and an overworked father who cared for his children. Each one of us has a history, whether sad, happy or indifferent. We all have memories and stories to share, stories to learn from, stories to help us not repeat the wrongs of the past, and stories that make us laugh or cry.

There is so much to share with our children; we need to share our family history. Oral history is so important in families, talk about your childhood, share stories with your children, write things down for them to share with their children.

Our spiritual heritage is just as important as our family heritage. The Bible tells us to talk to our children. What can we share of our spiritual heritage?

We need to:

Talk about God’s salvation

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
John 3:16-17

Talk about God’s love

Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:39

Talk about God’s wonderful works

Many, O LORD my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered. Psalm 40:5

Talk about God’s goodness

Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men! Psalm 107:8

Take time today to share with your children or grandchildren. Each one of us loves to hear of the “old days”; as we share our heritage remember to share your spiritual heritage as well.

And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. Deuteronomy 6:7

Have a blessed day,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment