Who wouldn’t want a perfect heart? Albert Barnes says, “not that Asa was sinless but that he was free from the sin of idolatry and continued faithful to Yahweh all his life.”
Staying away from idolatry is half the battle. Is idolatry common today? I would say a resounding YES. Unfortunately most of us don’t consider certain things idols.
What is an idol? An idol is anything one puts before God.
1. The worship of a physical object as a god
2. Immoderate attachment of devotion to something
1. A person of importance —used as a title for various officials (as magistrates and some mayors)
2. Reverence offered a divine being or supernatural power; also: an act of expressing such reverence
3. A form of religious practice with its creed and ritual
4. Extravagant respect or admiration for or devotion to an object of esteem
I know I have been guilty of this more times that I would like to admit. What are some of the items we can put before God?
Here is the short list:
We need to keep this in mind at all times. Be careful not to put anything before God. The only way to have a “perfect heart” before God is to put Him first in everything.
Have a blessed day,