Friday, January 27, 2012

Traveling and surveying

[11] So I came to Jerusalem, and was there three days. [12] And I arose in the night, I and some few men with me; neither told I any man what my God had put in my heart to do at Jerusalem: neither was there any beast with me, save the beast that I rode upon. [13] And I went out by night by the gate of the valley, even before the dragon well, and to the dung port, and viewed the walls of Jerusalem, which were broken down, and the gates thereof were consumed with fire. [14] Then I went on to the gate of the fountain, and to the king's pool: but there was no place for the beast that was under me to pass. [15] Then went I up in the night by the brook, and viewed the wall, and turned back, and entered by the gate of the valley, and so returned. Nehemiah 2:11-15

Have you ever traveled a long way? What did you do when you got to your destination? Did you get up in the middle of the night to check out the area? Nehemiah did.

Nehemiah arrives in Jerusalem and stayed for three days. He was so intent on what he had to do, he probably could not sleep. He got up in the night and had a few other men with him as he inspected the damage. He checked on everything the gates, the dragon well (may have looked like a dragon (John Gill), the dung port (where excrements were put out of the city). The walls were broken down and the gates were destroyed by fire.

The surveying continued as he checked out the fountain and the king’s pool noticing there was no way for his horse to pass through. After checking out the devastation he returned. Nehemiah knew what needed to be done. He needed manpower and knew where to get it.

Nehemiah had a plan and now he would implement it.

Have a blessed day,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment