Sunday, April 8, 2012

Happy Easter

[1] In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.[2]And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.[3] His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow:[4] And for fear of him the keepers did shake, and became as dead men.[5] And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified.[6] He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.[7] And go quickly, and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead; and, behold, he goeth before you into Galilee; there shall ye see him: lo, I have told you.[8] And they departed quickly from the sepulchre with fear and great joy; and did run to bring his disciples word.[9] And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him. [10] Then said Jesus unto them, Be not afraid: go tell my brethren that they go into Galilee, and there shall they see me. Matthew 28:1-10

Yesterday I spent the afternoon with my granddaughters decorating eggs. We not only decorate eggs but we make resurrection rolls. I read the scripture that tells of the death and resurrection of Jesus. As I read the scripture and later thought about it, I realize how we take Easter in stride. After a while it is just a tradition. The tradition may be a certain meal or special desserts. Families get together to share the meal and admire the “Easter finery”.

People go to church on Easter out of tradition. Today the churches will be full to capacity but next week, it will be business as usual. The “Easter morning Christians” will be doing what they did the week before Easter.

What about the Christians who go to church every Sunday? Is everything we do “out of habit” or a “tradition.” Jesus was a real living, breathing man. He was God in the flesh. He wasn’t just “one of the boys” but the true and living God living among the common everyday people.

Is Easter just a tradition for you? Is it about new clothes and special music at church? What does Easter mean to you?

Easter should reminds us of our sinfulness and Christ’s sinless perfection. We need to remember where we were when Christ touched our hearts and saved us. Where would I be if Christ had not saved me. I shudder to even think about it. I need to be thankful, grateful, and deeply appreciative of all Christ did for me, not just today but each and every day.

Today as you enjoy Easter dinner remember what happened on this day many years ago. This event still awes the world, God’s precious Son coming to the earth to die for your sins and mine. It is a special gift from GOD to you. Have you accepted this precious gift?

[3] For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; [4] And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: I Corinthians 15:3-4

Rejoicing in His Resurrection,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment