Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Tribute to My Mom


She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness. Proverbs 31:27 

My mom is a very spry 83 years old. She is still active. She cooks all her meals, I don’t mean opening a can of soup, but full blown meals. It may be meatloaf with mashed potatoes and vegetables, spaghetti and meatballs, a stuffed chicken dinner or corn beef and cabbage on St. Patrick’s Day. The list is endless and she cooks most meals from “scratch”.

Mom cleans her home and does her own laundry. She does not own a dryer, nor does she want one, hanging her clothes on a line outside. She brought up five children and was a stay at home mom. She was always there for us when we got home ready to listen and maybe a snack that “wouldn’t ruin our supper”.

At the age of 67 my mom got her driver’s license. She never really had a desire to drive, my dad brought her everywhere. When my father was diagnosed with cancer in 1993 she got her learner’s permit and drove him back and forth to appointments. A week before he died she had an appointment for her driver’s license, she passed with flying colors.

Her health is good. A few years ago she suffered a mild heart attack. She only takes two pills daily for her heart. 

My mom did not have an easy childhood. Her mother, my grandmother, was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis when she was in her early 20’s. This was during the 1930’s and the medical field was not advanced as it is today. The medical profession did not know what was wrong with my grandmother. She was in hospitals and rest homes from the time my mother was 4 or 5 until she was 10. After many failed attempts to identify the problem, the doctors finally diagnosed her with rheumatoid arthritis and told her she would never walk again. Imagine a young child having to endure being without her mother during the formative years of her life. Her grandmother lived nearby and helped the family as my grandfather worked to support them.

Once I asked my mom about her childhood and her response was, “it was a very sad time.”  After many years she did tell me most of the story. I know there are still things from her past that she has a hard time sharing.

She is a wonderful woman who did the best she could with the resources she had. Even though her life has not been easy, she has always been there for me and my brothers.

Today is her day. Two thousand miles separate us but I know she loves me and she knows I love her. I thank the Lord frequently for the gift of MY MOM. Happy Mother's Day Mom!!

P.S. My grandma did walk again. I was blessed to have her in my life until I was 29.

P.S.S. Do not let today past without speaking to your mom. Life is short, call and let her know you love her.

Have a blessed day,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment