Tuesday, July 17, 2012

I, I, I


1 I said in mine heart, Go to now, I will prove thee with mirth, therefore enjoy pleasure: and, behold, this also is vanity. 2 I said of laughter, It is mad: and of mirth, What doeth it? 3 I sought in mine heart to give myself unto wine, yet acquainting mine heart with wisdom; and to lay hold on folly, till I might see what was that good for the sons of men, which they should do under the heaven all the days of their life. 4  I made me great works; I builded me houses; I planted me vineyards: 5  I made me gardens and orchards, and I planted trees in them of all kind of fruits: 6  I made me pools of water, to water therewith the wood that bringeth forth trees: 7  I got me servants and maidens, and had servants born in my house; also I had great possessions of great and small cattle above all that were in Jerusalem before me: 8  I gathered me also silver and gold, and the peculiar treasure of kings and of the provinces: I gat me men singers and women singers, and the delights of the sons of men, as musical instruments, and that of all sorts. 9 So I was great, and increased more than all that were before me in Jerusalem: also my wisdom remained with me.   Ecclesiastes 2:1-9

I said in my heart…
I sought in mine heart…
I made me…
I got me…
I gathered me…
So I was great…

Solomon was searching, searching, searching for a peace and quietness of soul. He was looking for happiness in things.

He looked for happiness in:
Wine v3
Great works v4
Houses and vineyards v4
Gardens, orchards and planted trees v5
Pools of water to water his greenery v6
Servants to do the work for him v7
Great amount of cattle v7
Gold and silver v8
Singers and musicians v8

In all of this I noticed that the most important thing Solomon looked for was satisfying himself. It was all about him. The more he obtained the more he was not happy.

What about our world today? We want more and more and more. We own a car but we want a better one. We buy a better one and after a short time the novelty wears off and we want a better one. The vicious circle goes around and around.

Unfortunately believers in Christ are not immune to the “wanting more syndrome.” I like my house but … I can’t afford to do this but I have credit cards… The never satisfied feeling was not only in Solomon’s time but in our time as well.

It is so sad to see someone buying “things” trying to obtain happiness. I have an acquaintance that has put himself in debt so many times and keeps claiming bankruptcy. True happiness is not found in “things” and Solomon knew this firsthand.

Where is your focus? Is it on possessions? Is it on your accomplishments?

Join me the next time to learn more of what Solomon has to say.

Have a blessed day, 
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment