Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Gospel gems – Check my motives

1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples, 2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: 3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not. 4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers. 5 But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments, 6 And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues,  Matthew 23:1-6

Jesus was giving a description of the “works” of the scribes and Pharisees. Each and everything they did was a “big show”. They wanted those around them to see them as “the religious”. They were quick to tell others what to do but would not do it themselves. They had to have the “best seats” and make sure everyone noticed them.

This scripture got me thinking. Why do I do the things I do? To be seen of men? or to please God?

A motive is something (as a need or desire) that causes a person to act. I need to check my motives. Do I do things just because “it is the in Christian thing” to do? Do I do things because God has spoken to my heart about a certain situation?

He is a personal God. Praise Him we are not all puppets. God made each of us individually and deals with us as such.

I need to take my eyes off others, and not worry about what they are doing for God. My next step is to ask God, in prayer, to lead and direct.

Have a blessed day,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment