Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Lessons from Esther: Before the king

3 And Esther spake yet again before the king, and fell down at his feet, and besought him with tears to put away the mischief of Haman the Agagite, and his device that he had devised against the Jews. 4 Then the king held out the golden sceptre toward Esther. So Esther arose, and stood before the king, 5 And said, If it please the king, and if I have found favour in his sight, and the thing seem right before the king, and I be pleasing in his eyes, let it be written to reverse the letters devised by Haman the son of Hammedatha the Agagite, which he wrote to destroy the Jews which are in all the king's provinces: 6 For how can I endure to see the evil that shall come unto my people? or how can I endure to see the destruction of my kindred? 7 Then the king Ahasuerus said unto Esther the queen and to Mordecai the Jew, Behold, I have given Esther the house of Haman, and him they have hanged upon the gallows, because he laid his hand upon the Jews. Esther 8:3-7

The wicked Haman is dead but his dastardly deed will continue unless Someone steps in.

Esther is “beside herself” she is ready to burst from sorrow. Something needs to be done before the dreaded day, when all the Jews will be killed. She pleads with the king to remedy the situation before it is too late.

In Esther 3:13 we read, “And the letters were sent by posts into all the king's provinces, to destroy, to kill, and to cause to perish, all Jews, both young and old, little children and women, in one day, even upon the thirteenth day of the twelfth month, which is the month Adar, and to take the spoil of them for a prey.”

Esther asks the king to reverse the letters that Haman had sent to all the provinces. She is pleading and interceding for her people, the Jews. This is a picture of what we as Christians should be doing daily, interceding on the behalf of others.

·        Hear my prayer, O God; give ear to the words of my mouth. Psalm 54:2
·        The LORD hath heard my supplication; the LORD will receive my prayer. Psalm 6:9
·        Give ear, O LORD, unto my prayer; and attend to the voice of my supplications. Psalm 86:6
·        Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry; Psalm 88:2
·        Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper that love thee. Psalm 122:6
·        Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved. Romans 10:1
·        Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. Philippians 4:6

Ahasuerus reminds Esther and Mordecai what he has done so far in regard to the serious situation. He had Haman hanged and he gave Haman’s house to Esther. This is not exactly what Esther was referring to, she wanted to save the lives of her people and without a reversal of the decree they were doomed.

Join me the next time to find out the rest of the solution.

Have a blessed day,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment