Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Love Chapter

1Corinthians 13:1-7
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. [2] And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. [3] And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. [4] Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, [5] Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; [6] Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; [7] Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

Happy Valentine’s Day!!

I Corinthians 13 is read at many weddings, however this chapter is not just for the married couple, although it is a great start. This chapter, often referred to as the love chapter, is how we should express our love toward all.

The word charity occurs in the New Testament 28 times. The word charity translates to love. The Greek meaning of love in these verses is agape.

What is love? These verses are telling us what love is and what love is not.

We can speak beautifully and say all the right words, but without love what does it matter. It would be like LOUD unpleasant music. Just think of it being so loud that it reverberates and you would need to cover your ears, to get some relief.

We can understand everything and have so much knowledge but what good would it be if we had no love.

Think about giving food to the poor, the Bible says without love it is nothing. Why do we feed the poor, do we love these people? We should, we need to do it because they were created by God and He loves them, should we do any less.

Love is the reason for life. Love created life. Love is what motivated Christ to die for us.

Love sometimes takes a beating but is still kind. When you truly love someone you are willing to do anything for that person. Not only are you willing to do anything but you do it without mumbling and complaining.

Love is not envious. When you love someone you are happy when things are going good for that person. You are not being envious and saying, “why doesn’t that happen to me”.

Love is thinking of others. Love is NOT SELF CENTERED but OTHERS CENTERED.

What can you do today for someone? Make a phone call, send a card, give a kind word, smile, show love to someone today. Make this your mission for the day.

Is there someone you need to apologize to for a wrong or holding hard feelings toward? Call and let love show you the way. It may not be easy but it is the right thing to do.

If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. Romans 12:18

Lord, help me to keep my motives right before you. Help me to see the BIG picture of Love. Thank you for showing me the wonderful kindness of your love.

Have a great day.
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment