Monday, January 10, 2011

The Blame Game

And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat. 13 And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat. Genesis 3:12-13

Have you ever played the blame game? You know the game, at one time or another we have all played. There is always a reason why we do what we do. We act a certain way because of how we were brought up. We act a certain way because of where we were brought up. We act a certain way because someone said something we did not like. We act a certain way because someone did something to us. We act a certain way because we had to go to a certain school. We act a certain way because … The possibilities are endless. No matter what the problem “it is not our fault”

We all have reasons why something is happening or not happening. This is not new. The blame game has been in existence since the beginning of creation.

It started with our very first ancestors and has continued down through the ages. The garden where Adam and Eve lived was perfect. Imagine living in a beautiful, gorgeous garden, our finite mind cannot even comprehend how beautiful it must have been. We have beautiful gardens today and we are in the “fallen state”. The Garden of Eden had no weeds, no pests, no insects and no diseases. A river watered the garden. There was no worry about wells running dry or hoses not long enough to reach. God had prepared a river with streams flowing from it to water the entire area. Gold, bdellium and onyx were bountiful in the land. Precious metals and stones were throughout the whole region.

Adam and Eve lived in this beautiful, perfect garden. They had everything one could need or want. They should have been satisfied but they were not. They wanted more; this reminds me of our current time. They looked around and saw the tree, “if only we try some of the fruit, then we will be happy and satisfied.” God had given a warning about one tree, not five, not ten, not even two, but one tree and of this one tree God said do not eat of it. (Genesis 2:17) God knows all and knows best.

Adam and Eve did not believe God knew best and disobeyed Him. When they were “caught” the blame game started. The first player, Adam blamed God. He blamed God by saying, “the woman you gave me”. Hey God it was your idea to give me this wife. I never would have eaten the fruit on my own.

The game continues with the second player, Eve. God questioned Eve and she was not to blame. She was an innocent victim. The serpent lead her astray. Does this sound familiar? We get caught in gossip, lying, taking something that does not belong to us, you get the picture, but it is not our fault. Give me a minute and I can tell you why I did what I did.

As we start the New Year, look inward, ask the Lord to show you where you need to change. As I write I am speaking to myself. It is so easy to get caught up in the blame game. It is always someone else’s fault (or so we think). The Lord has been speaking to my heart. When I do something wrong or hurt someone’s feelings, I need to make the right choice. I need to make the situation right, it is up to me. Let’s stop looking at everyone else and look at ourselves, let the “blame game” stop with me and you.

Have a blessed day,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment