Monday, March 14, 2011

Update

The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1

We take so much for granted. We go about life without a care in the world. Then something upsets our course. It may be an accident, an illness, an injury or an operation. Whatever it is, causes a cramp in our style. This is what my husband has been through for the last few months. He has always been active and healthy. In late December he injured his back and has been pretty much out of commission.


He didn’t stop most of his activities, he just did them in extreme pain. He has never been a complainer but when you live with someone for a long time you recognize by the way they do things when they are in pain.

After exhausting all options he opted for surgery. The surgery was outpatient and he was told he would be driving after two days. He has not driven since late December.

As I reported in my last post, he could not lift his left leg. The operation was more intense than first thought. There was trauma to the nerves which affected his leg. He was transferred to a good rehab facility.

Mark has worked very hard to get mobility. He came home today. Praise God! Last week he could not move his left leg. After 3 hours of rehab a day he is walking with a walker, going up and down stairs and getting dressed by himself. A week and a half ago he could not do basic ADLs. The "activities of daily living," or ADLs, are the basic tasks of everyday life, items that most of us take for granted including, bathing, dressing, walking, climbing stairs, driving and transferring.

His left leg is still numb from the knee down but the exercises and movement are making it stronger. He has some feeling when touched, more like pins and needles, which is a good thing.

I thank God every day for what He has given us. Throughout the last few weeks I have prayed Proverbs 3:5-6. Lord, help us to trust you with all our hearts and not to lean on our own ways. Help us to recognize you in everything as you direct our path.

As Mark continues to grow stronger each day, we need to remember that God is in control. The last few months have been a little draining at times but then I remember this is only “a bump in the road” of life. I’m glad I learned the principles of Isaiah 26:4, Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:

He has been our strength and comfort throughout this time. Thank you for your prayers.

Have a blessed day,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment