Monday, September 5, 2011

Safe Harbor

As I look outside my office window, I reflect on the view and how blessed I am to work in a beautiful place. The water is serene and still as the boats gently float attached to the moorings. Sometimes I live my life more like a wild storm then being in the middle of a safe harbor.

Christ is the safe harbor. I need to pull into the harbor, and rest in the calm and tranquil waters; no matter what the problem He is there.

Hebrews 13:5 says,” for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.”

This doesn’t mean sometimes, or once in a while, but never leave us. He is there through each and every storm of our life.

Each one of us has problems in his/her life, some are very small and really insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Some problems are extremely large and we wonder if we will ever get over it. We need to trust Christ to see us through.

Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass. Psalm 37:5

There are so many problems we may go through in this life, the big question is: How do I handle these problems in the light of God’s word? I am not an expert at always doing the right thing, but through the years I have learned, most of the time, to look at God’s word to see how to handle a problem.

Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. Proverbs 30:5

Are you going through rough and choppy waters?

The floods have lifted up, O LORD, the floods have lifted up their voice; the floods lift up their waves. The LORD on high is mightier than the noise of many waters, yea, than the mighty waves of the sea. Psalm 93:3 -4

Stormy seas – problems in your life

He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still. Psalm 107:29

Is the current against you (people or circumstances against you)?
Quite a few years ago my husband had a problem with someone spreading lies about him. Throughout the whole episode we trusted God to work it out. The offender soon stopped when he could not get the desired results, getting people to dislike my husband.

One day I was reviewing some of my Bible notes I noticed that just before this happened I had studied and made notes on a few verses. The verses had to do with the problem we were about to face. Here are the verses:

Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips. Psalm 141:3

Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee. Psalm 143:8

A talebearer revealeth secrets: but he that is of a faithful spirit concealeth the matter. Pro 11:13

The lip of truth shall be established for ever: but a lying tongue is but for a moment. Pro 12:19

Say not thou, I will recompense evil; but wait on the LORD, and he shall save thee. Pro 20:22

God was preparing me for the current that would be working against us. These verses helped me to do the right thing. My usual reaction is to speak first and think afterwards. God had different plans and His plans are always right. He worked the whole problem out, we never said a word but people knew the truth.

Dashed upon the rocks - painful.

Are there problems in your life that feel like you are being dashed upon the rocks? God will make a way.

There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. 1Corinthians 10:13

Is the foamy surf making the way unclear? Are you discouraged?

It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statutes. Psalm 119:71

When discouragement comes, we need to look UP.

How can we stay in the safe harbor?

* Time alone to read, think, pray, journal – set time aside to spend with God

* Prayer walks

* Do something where there will be immediate visible progress – focus on others

* Rest

* Play music that ministers to you

Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength: Isaiah 26:3-4

Have a blessed day,
Donna



No comments:

Post a Comment