Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Fear tactics

[1] Now it came to pass, when Sanballat, and Tobiah, and Geshem the Arabian, and the rest of our enemies, heard that I had builded the wall, and that there was no breach left therein; (though at that time I had not set up the doors upon the gates;) [2] That Sanballat and Geshem sent unto me, saying, Come, let us meet together in some one of the villages in the plain of Ono. But they thought to do me mischief. [3] And I sent messengers unto them, saying, I am doing a great work, so that I cannot come down: why should the work cease, whilst I leave it, and come down to you? [4] Yet they sent unto me four times after this sort; and I answered them after the same manner. Nehemiah 6:1-4

The enemies are at it again. The “old gang” is back, Sanballat, Tobiah and Geshem, they heard the news that the wall was built and it was strong and sturdy. As usual they had plans for Nehemiah’s demise. A letter was sent to set up a meeting with Nehemiah. Nehemiah was not born yesterday, and realized they only wanted to meet with him for mischief. The Hebrew meaning for mischief includes: bad, affliction, calamity, distress.

Nehemiah’s answer to them is exactly what one would expect, “Oh no, I cannot go to Ono! I am doing a great work.” My translation is “I have way more important works to do than meet with the likes of you.” As with all the followers of the evil one, they were very persistent. They would hassle and pester until he relented. They obviously did not know Nehemiah’s fortitude.

The barraging continued, three more letters followed, with the same results. Nehemiah was not budging. He knew what he was called to do and he was going to do it. No temptation was going to pull him from the work of the wall.

~ Are you being tempted by others who do not know the great works of God? Is someone trying to break down your beliefs? Do you feel pulled in a hundred directions?

That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; Ephesians 4:14

~ Take a lesson from Nehemiah, do not waver.

Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Ephesians 6:10

~ Go in prayer to the One who will help you with all your problems.

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

The LORD hath heard my supplication; the LORD will receive my prayer. Psalm 6:9

Blessed be God, which hath not turned away my prayer, nor his mercy from me. Psalm 66:20

Have a blessed day,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment