Monday, February 20, 2012

Living by example

[14] Moreover from the time that I was appointed to be their governor in the land of Judah, from the twentieth year even unto the two and thirtieth year of Artaxerxes the king, that is, twelve years, I and my brethren have not eaten the bread of the governor.
[15] But the former governors that had been before me were chargeable unto the people, and had taken of them bread and wine, beside forty shekels of silver; yea, even their servants bare rule over the people: but so did not I, because of the fear of God. [16] Yea, also I continued in the work of this wall, neither bought we any land: and all my servants were gathered thither unto the work. [17] Moreover there were at my table an hundred and fifty of the Jews and rulers, beside those that came unto us from among the heathen that are about us. [18] Now that which was prepared for me daily was one ox and six choice sheep; also fowls were prepared for me, and once in ten days store of all sorts of wine: yet for all this required not I the bread of the governor, because the bondage was heavy upon this people. [19] Think upon me, my God, for good, according to all that I have done for this people. Nehemiah 5:14-19

Nehemiah was a man of integrity. He did not ask of others something he himself would not do. In this portion of scripture we learn that Nehemiah was made governor.

He was a governor like none before him. He did not live at the expense of the people. Nehemiah did not take a pay or food from the people. So, what did Nehemiah do while he was the governor? He worked on the wall. He had a mission to do and he would complete it.

Nehemiah worked and took care of his servants as well as a hundred and fifty Jews and rulers. He made sure the people were fed. His daily provision for them: one ox, six sheep, different birds and every ten days they had special wines. All of this was paid for by Nehemiah, not the government, so the people would not be burdened.

At the close of the chapter is what I consider a one line prayer, “think upon me, my God, for good...” Nehemiah was not looking toward men for his reward but toward his Heavenly Father.

Lesson: Do everything you do for the Lord.

Do we live by example? Do our actions match our words?

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 1Corinthians 10:31

And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Colossians 3:23

Have a blessed day,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment