Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Lessons from a trip – High tower


While visiting my daughter and her family, they took us to see the Vulcan. I visit the Birmingham area every year since 1994 and have never been to the Vulcan. As a matter of fact, I never heard of the Vulcan, but then again I’m not from the south.

Vulcan, Birmingham Alabama's colossal statue is the world's largest cast iron statue and considered one of the most memorable works of civic art in the United States. Designed by Italian artist Giuseppe Moretti and cast from local iron in 1904, it has overlooked the urban landscape of Alabama's largest city since the 1930’s. (http://www.visitvulcan.com/index.html) – From the Vulcan website

We had a lovely visit on the grounds as well as in the little museum. The grounds are beautifully cared for and we visited on a warm sunny day. Part of the admission was a trip to the top of the base of the statue. I am not a huge fan of heights, but usually I just take it in stride. We traveled to the top in a glass surround elevator, looking over the city of Birmingham. I was ok until the elevator stopped and opened to a grate platform that encircled the base of the Vulcan. There were people standing and picture taking around the platform. My error was when I looked down right through the grate walkway to the ground, way, way, way down to the ground.

As my family walked around and enjoyed the sights, I walked around and stayed close to the wall of the statue. In retrospect it was pretty funny; if the platform collapsed the wall would do me no good. I was really scared. I have been in many high buildings i.e. the Sears (Willis) Tower in Chicago, the Prudential Building in Boston, The Empire State building in New York and I even like to fly, go figure, but for some reason I had a fear of .. I don’t really know, heights I guess. In the other buildings there is a solid walkway on the Vulcan the walkway was a grate that one could see right down to the earth beneath. As I walked I prayed for calmness of spirit and asked the Lord to take away the fear. I did feel better but was relieved when we traveled down the elevator and I placed my feet on the solid earth.

We walked around the bottom of the statue and talked to the park attendants. One of the attendants told us that the Vulcan was beautiful at night when all the lights were lit. She informed us that our tickets were good for the entire day. I didn’t think anything about it until my daughter said around 8:30 pm, “want to go back to the Vulcan and see it at night”. All jumped at the chance to see it at night. I was not as overjoyed as the rest of the family. Off we went, to see the Vulcan at night, the grounds and statue were brilliantly lit and it was a gorgeous warm summer evening. As we started to ascend on the elevator I felt my fear rising. I prayed and asked  the Lord to take the fear away. The fears did subside and I realized how fears can control a person. I enjoyed the walk around and the dazzling views of Birmingham at night.

How about you? Do you have fears? Give them to God don’t let your fears consume you or your walk in the Lord.

Lessons learned:

God is with me all the time – Hebrews 13:5
Look to Him for strength and encouragement – Psalm 27:1
Pray – I Thessalonians 5:17
Trust Him – Proverbs 3:5-6

The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence. 2Samuel 22:3 

The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. Psalm 18:2 

For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy. Psalm 61:3 

My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. Psalm 144:2 

The name of the LORD is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe. Proverbs 18:10

 Have a blessed day,
Donna

1 comment:

  1. Hi Donna
    I have been enjoying your blog series on Lessons from a Trip. This one, about the Vulcan, was quite amazing. I don't like heights either, so I must really congratulate you for how you fared. I would have chosen to stay on the ground... but that would have meant missing half the fun and the excitement of seeing the world from up there!

    Thanks for taking time to share these lessons!

    Blessings
    Lidia

    ReplyDelete