Thursday, March 28, 2013

Comfort in the midst of sorrow


14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it. 15 If ye love me, keep my commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. 18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. 19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also. 20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you. 21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him. 26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. 27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:14-21, 26-27

Jesus taught and instructed His disciples right up to the time He was taken away. The One who was to die for the sins of the world was reassuring and encouraging others.

The name Comforter is used four times in four different verses in the book of John. It is referring to the third part of the trinity, the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the Comforter that was left to indwell the believer. The Comforter came when the Son went back to heaven. The Comforter is with us now, comforting, encouraging and reassuring us through the Word.

The Comforter will only lead in the right direction. It is up to us to be more conscious of His presence and His leading.

Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day. Psalm 25:5 

For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name's sake lead me, and guide me. Psalm 31:3

Teach me to do thy will; for thou art my God: thy spirit is good; lead me into the land of uprightness. Psalm 43:10 

Have a blessed day,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment