Thursday, May 16, 2013

Women of the Bible – Hannah (part 2)


For this child I prayed; and the LORD hath given me my petition which I asked of him: 1 Samuel 1:27 

Hannah’s prayer was answered (I Sam 1:20). She greatly rejoiced over the birth of her son. I’m sure she loved and cherished him, but a promise was a promise. Hannah kept her boy home until she weaned him, probably between 3-5 years old.  During this time she taught her son about the Lord. The NYU Child Study Center says, “The first five years create the foundation for the child to accomplish key developmental advances in mind and body. .... It is during these years that the brain undergoes its most dramatic growth.”  Hannah keeping her son home and working with him was a long time before this statement from NYU, but she knew and trusted her Lord. When the time was right, Hannah took her son, Samuel, back to the temple with an offering. She gave her son and the offering to Eli, the priest.

As I was reviewing the scriptures about Hannah I noticed I Samuel 1:27-28 For this child I prayed; and the LORD hath given me my petition which I asked of him: Therefore also I have lent him to the LORD; as long as he liveth he shall be lent to the LORD. And he worshipped the LORD there. “He worshipped the Lord there”, is a perfect picture of what Hannah had taught Samuel. During his very young years she was teaching him about worshipping God.

Hannah’s main objective in life was to have a son to give “back to the Lord”. The Lord gave her the desire of her heart and Hannah kept her promise to God. She was greatly blessed with five more children.

Hannah’s prayer of praise and thanks is recorded in I Samuel 2:1-10.

Lessons from Hannah’s life:
·        God knew Hannah’s sorrow. God knows our sorrows.
·        Hannah found comfort in the house of God. Do we find comfort in God’s house and His word?
·        God answered Hannah’s prayer. God will answer our prayers.
·        Hannah kept her vow. When I make promises to God, do I keep them?
·        Hannah taught her son about God. Do we teach our children/grandchildren about God?
·        Hannah praised God for answered prayer. Do we praise God for answered prayer, even if it is not answered “our way”?

Have a blessed day, 
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment