Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Women of the Bible – Hannah


And she was in bitterness of soul, and prayed unto the LORD, and wept sore. 1 Samuel 1:10 

What would it be like to have no children? This is a question I cannot answer. I was blessed with three beautiful and healthy children, if that was not enough God gave me four wonderful grandchildren to hold and enjoy.  I have never been childless; I do not know the ache, sadness or emptiness that others feel.

Hannah was a childless woman. She dreamed, yearned, craved, and spent every moment wishing for a child. The Bible says, “children are a heritage from the Lord” and more than anything else Hannah wanted a child. She was married to a man with two wives. The wife that shared the home with Hannah was named Peninnah and she had children.

Not only did Peninnah have children but she “rubbed it” in Hannah’s face whenever she had a chance. We are told that she provoked Hannah. I can picture Peninnah as a bully who would not stop no matter what. We are told this went on for years (I Sam 1:7). Imagine living in the torment of not only being childless but someone reminding you in a taunting and aggravating manner day in and day out. Talk about being discouraged and depressed, I’m sure that is how Hannah must have felt.

Hannah was in deep anguish (I Samuel 1:10) and prayed to God. The only place she could find solice was the house of God. She cried and prayed to God. In the prayer she vowed to God, “if you will give me a son, then I will give him back to you.” (I Samuel 1:11) Hannah knew a vow should never be made unless it was to be kept (Num 30:2). She had every intention of keeping the vow even when she knew it would make her childless again.

Join me the next time for the answer and results of the prayer.

Have a blessed day,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment