Thursday, May 6, 2010

Early Morning Sounds

Psalm 143:8 Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee.

What do you hear early in the morning? I usually wake up to the buzzer of the coffee maker, which I set the night before, letting me know the coffee is ready. Now that spring is here, I love to hear the birds singing back and forth to each other, as the sun rises. A woodpecker sits on a nearby tree pecking away looking for his breakfast. The sound of calm before the busyness of the morning begins.

When the wind is just right, I can hear the hum of boat engines on the bay just a couple of blocks away. Once summer starts I will hear the shot of the cannon from the local yacht club echoing through the morning calm, signaling the start of the day’s activities. When I think of all the sounds that surround me each day, I am so very thankful for my physical hearing.

How is my spiritual hearing? Can I hear the lovingkindness of God in the early morning light? Is my first waking thought on Him and what He wants me to do? The words of this verse tug at my heart. I want to hear the “voice” of God. I want to know which path to walk.

The answer is in the last section of the verse, “I lift up my soul unto you.” We need to start each morning with the Lord. Open your spiritual ears to hear his lovingkindness. As you listen to the birds, the hum of engines, the horns of taxis, or whatever your morning sounds maybe, let it remind you that the Lord is near. Listen to His voice today.

Have a great day,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment