Friday, June 21, 2013

Gospel gems - Love others

A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. John 13:34

Have you ever had a problem with loving other people? There are some people who “rub” us the wrong way. We clash with some and meld with others.

Jesus said these words to his disciples at the last supper. Jesus knew this was the last supper and He also knew that someone would betray Him. He starts off saying, “a new commandment I give to you”. Commandment in the Greek means an authoritative prescription:- commandment, precept. I love that “an authoritative prescription”. Jesus wanted the disciples not to just take it but swallow it down. Absorb the meaning and perform the action.

Wow! God actually wants me to love other people. Not just love others but love them the way Jesus loves us.

Is it possible? Yes, because it is what God told us to do.

Is it hard? Absolutely! But “I can do all things through Christ”. Loving the unlovely was just one of the many things Jesus did. Can I do any less? Can you?

The other thing I noticed about this verse is that Jesus said it twice, “that you love one another”. When something is said twice it means pay attention. Let’s pay attention and start to show and share the love of Jesus!

Have a blessed day,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment